Healthy summer snacks are a must for keeping kids happy and active during time off from school. Snacks provide energy, prevent overeating, and keep blood sugar stable throughout the course of the day. Check out these ideas for healthy summer snacks for kids:
1. White or red grapes (Try freezing them for a new spin!)
2. Frozen blueberries on top of low fat yogurt
3. Fruit "kabobs" (Just line up diced fruit on wooden skewers.)
4. Baby carrots and a small side of hummus
5. Sliced raw vegetable assortment with a small side of guacamole
6. Diced melon on top of cottage cheese
7. Banana pop (It's just a frozen banana!)
8. Banana sliced, topped with natural peanut butter, on top a whole-grain English muffin
9. Unsalted almonds or walnuts over a fruit cup
10. Baked tortilla chips with bean dip
11. Celery sticks with whipped cream cheese as dip
12. Homemade "yogurt-sicle" (Just insert a popsicle stick and freeze!)
Bonus Tips: With all these tasty snacks, and summertime activities kids will certainly be thirsty, but resist the urge to serve an ice-cold soda and instead:
· Make an effort to keep water as the main beverage for your kids all summer long.
· When serving fruit juice, choose varieties that are 100% juice (Some kid-friendly boxes and pouches contain about 10% juice, so it pays to compare!).
· Fat-free milk is a nutritious, lower-calorie alternative to whole milk and some kids actually find it more refreshing than the regular kind.